Hi, had a question I thought some RDs could weigh in on.

I've seen a lot of supplements recently with collagen protein in them, some with gelatin, some with hydrolyzed collagen, and some with enzyme-predigested collagen.

Some have added amino acids to the predigested collagen - cysteine, histidine, methionine, threonine, tryptophan.

I'd heard for years that collagen was junk protein and not really of much biological value at all, but I know that PDCAAS is now not necessarily seen as foolproof and DIAAS is maybe going to supplant it, so maybe things have changed?

My question is whether hydrolyzed collagen, or enzyme-predigested collagen with aminos added to it, are effective proteins when it comes to a quick-absorption protein suitable for use in sports recovery, or recovery drinks, and so on.

And if not, what are better proteins for the purpose i.e. you're in a race and eating on the go and need something that will digest and absorb well.

Lots of misinformation so I'm trying to educate myself but there is a lot of confusing/conflicting info out there from the product mfrs.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

Hi, had a question I thought some RDs could weigh in on. I've seen a lot of supplements recently with collagen protein in them, some with gelatin, some with hydrolyzed collagen, and some with enzyme-predigested collagen. Some have added amino acids to the predigested collagen - cysteine, histidine, methionine, threonine, tryptophan. I'd heard for years that collagen was junk protein and not really of much biological value at all, but I know that PDCAAS is now not necessarily seen as foolproof and DIAAS is maybe going to supplant it, so maybe things have changed? My question is whether hydrolyzed collagen, or enzyme-predigested collagen with aminos added to it, are effective proteins when it comes to a quick-absorption protein suitable for use in sports recovery, or recovery drinks, and so on. And if not, what are better proteins for the purpose i.e. you're in a race and eating on the go and need something that will digest and absorb well. Lots of misinformation so I'm trying to educate myself but there is a lot of confusing/conflicting info out there from the product mfrs. Any help appreciated. Thanks. Paul

Collagen is a poor quality protein. It doesn't matter whether you use PDCAAS or DIAAS to measure protein quality of collagen. The only difference I am aware of between PDCAAS and DIAAS it that the DIAAS doesn't truncate values at one and uses a more accurate digestibility factor (ileal vs fecal). Collagen does not have any tryptophan and is low in a few essential branched chain amino acids. Thus the PDCAAS of collagen is 0 and I expect the DIAAS to be the same. Manufacturers often add specific amino acids like tryptophan to it to bump up the quality. However, they often don't add enough of these amino acids to get the PDCAAS even remotely close to whey, casein, egg, soy, or pea protein. I believe whey is more quickly digested and absorbed than casein, but depending on the circumstances you may want a mix of both slow and fast digesting proteins. For products with collagen + amino acids or whey, you have to ask the manufacturer for the amino acid profile or the PDCAAS. If they don't give it to you, don't buy the product. Now poor quality proteins can be used to supplement a diet under specific circumstances, but I wouldn't use them for sports nutrition.

Collagen is a poor quality protein. It doesn't matter whether you use PDCAAS or DIAAS to measure protein quality of collagen. The only difference I am aware of between PDCAAS and DIAAS it that the DIAAS doesn't truncate values at one and uses a more accurate digestibility factor (ileal vs fecal). Collagen does not have any tryptophan and is low in a few essential branched chain amino acids. Thus the PDCAAS of collagen is 0 and I expect the DIAAS to be the same. Manufacturers often add specific amino acids like tryptophan to it to bump up the quality. However, they often don't add enough of these amino acids to get the PDCAAS even remotely close to whey, casein, egg, soy, or pea protein. I believe whey is more quickly digested and absorbed than casein, but depending on the circumstances you may want a mix of both slow and fast digesting proteins. For products with collagen + amino acids or whey, you have to ask the manufacturer for the amino acid profile or the PDCAAS. If they don't give it to you, don't buy the product. Now poor quality proteins can be used to supplement a diet under specific circumstances, but I wouldn't use them for sports nutrition.
views
replies
followers
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft